9/26/13

Gastby-tastic


I had a Great Gatsby themed event to attend a few weeks back and decided to make a dress for the occasion. To be honest, I wasn't the biggest '20's fan heading into this, but I'm reassessing my opinion after sewing this.

For a pattern, I used Folkwear's 1927 Tea Frock pattern and made it up in a size 10. The pattern is excellent: clear, step-by-step directions, plenty of customization options and pertinent historical information. Because I was crunched for time, I opted not to do any of the shirring and did the bias tape collar option. That said, were I to do it over again, I'd definitely do the smocking because I really love the look.

For materials, I ended up using a vintage bed sheet because of time and budget. I did take the time to do the accompanying embroidery, though, and had a blast doing that.


Here's a close up of the embroidery. It's just a basic split stitch, all in the same color. There were instructions for cutwork, but I am a chicken, so opted not to start yanking threads. MaƱana, right?

So while I'm still not completely gaga over the roaring '20's, I had a fun time making this and would use this pattern again in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment